• Advertisement

The stock isn't bad for first stock to dip!

The stock isn't bad for first stock to dip!

Postby hutch04 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:21 am

If I Could figure out how to post a pic I would. It keeps saying file won't work. Anyway I double dipped the browning bolt action stock and it almost looks factory. The tape did take off some of the pattern. I think I let it spread to far, had wAter temp a tad high or a little to much activator. But it still come out very good. Im keeping notes of wAter temp, time film sits In wAter and time activator sits on film and im gonna switch it up a little here and there till I say hey now that's perfect. Which i dipped a phone case and lowered wAter temp and cut the activator sit time in half and think I'm close. Seems that the film is much more durable and not as thin. So my next gun I'll be trying the process and seeing if I have it yet. Lol. I only had a few white spots after the dip. Almost like fisheyes in paint. But anyway I'll post pics soon as I figure out how. Lol.
hutch04
Premium Member

Re: The stock isn't bad for first stock to dip!

Postby dropride » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:28 am

You'll probably have to make a photobucket account and link it that way.
Derek
dropride
Premium Member

Postby hutch04 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 am

hutch04
Premium Member

Postby hutch04 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 am

hutch04
Premium Member

Postby dropride » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 am

Looks good. Is that your dip tank in the second pic?
Derek
dropride
Premium Member

Postby hutch04 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 am

lol.. yea thats what i used for my first dip. didnt mean to have that in the pic. ha. i dont have the funds to purchase a real tank and all... i have guys that seeing the few things im dipping wanting me to dip for money. im to much of a perfectionist and the same reason my drywall business didnt make it. i spend to much time making sure its right the first time. the mexicans were twice as fast but would always have to go back to fix. the 5 years i finished sheetrock i may have had one call back. i took couple days extra because after my crew would do as i ask i couldnt help myself but to go over every inch of the place myself. was scared to mess up and have a bad rep. well that lead to me not getting enough jobs to stay working cause people wanted quantity over quality. anyway im scared if i get a tank and get into this for the money i would take to long getting the items back to people and go through way to much film cause if it was the slightest thing wrong i woulod have to redo. which brings me to my next question.. lol. touching up. im sure you can see the small white dots and the seam line where the tape pulled off the film in places. is there a easy way to touch that up or just redo the stock? looking from the side i put my browning realtree stock up against my dipped stock and you cannot tell which one is factory and which one i dipped. untill you turn it over. then you see the mess ups. the factory realtree stock was also double dipped so i was happy to see that. when i dipped the second side i inserted the stock in slow and as i was inserting it slowly in 30 degree angle i was also rolling the stock very very slightly and the film didnt stretch at all. the ink that was on the tape side look as good as the actual dipped side so i want to try a 1 dipper on my 444 butt stock to see how it looks. the double dipping scares me when pulling off the blue tape. i had to spend so much time on it. the tape first pulled off the basecoat so i had to redo it after the first dip the it pulled off the film after the second dip. i was using the blue tape and i let the film sit long time before taping. ill jus have to play with it to get it right is all.. thanks for all the help. hope to be posting more pics soon. im addicted!!!!
hutch04
Premium Member

Postby dropride » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 am

Thats what i plan on using for a tank to practice with. Do you change the water after dipping or how do you clean the excess film out?
Derek
dropride
Premium Member

Postby hutch04 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:53 am

ive done both. some dips i jus take out the floating stuff. and if its lot i just change it out. im gonna put a plug or something in one. wil eventually have a way to switch water very easily
hutch04
Premium Member

Postby K2 Concepts » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:02 pm

You can touch up your parts by taking a small slice of pattern and a touch up paint brush...dip the brush in activator and swirl the brush on the pattern until the pattern turns into liquid ink. Now you can use that to touch up any small voids.

For your blue tape? Make sure you remove it while your rinsing...the water will help "un-stick" the tape...if you let it dry it becomes twice as hard to pull that tape off without removing the base coat and/or pattern...

As for the perfectionist side? Ask a friend you trust what he thinks when your in doubt...most often you will hear "Dude that looks awesome"...I ask my wife alot and most times she says "Send it"...when she says "No...re do that part" Then I know it isn't up to par and I will redo the part...
K2 Concepts
Premium Member

Postby camodragn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm an artist and I'm like that a lot. With my work ill do something and not think its my best work and someone else sees it and is like wow you should try selling your work
camodragn
Premium Member

Next

Return to General Discussion